Saturday, September 03, 2005

Back Home in Lafayette

I arrived back in Lafayette this morning at 10:45 AM and from what I have seen, it's about as I suspected. There is no hurricane damage whatsoever, but there is a lot of activity at the Cajundome and Blackham Coliseum. As we drove on I-49 just north of I-10, we saw a convoy of at least ten charter buses heading north towards Shreveport and/or Dallas. Some of the buses were from Arkansas so there has definitely been some regional mobilization.

The Daily Advertiser is reportingg that the Cajundome and Convention Center has reached it's capacity at 6,700 evacuees. The other thing that is immediately noticeable is the presence of signs on I-10 and Highway 90 that proclaim that all roads into New Orleans are closed.

Other than that, Lafayette is really about the same as it was when I was last here a few months ago. We are about to head west to Lake Charles for a wedding, but I suspect to see similar evacuee activity there as it is the next largest city west of Lafayette.

No comments: