Sunday, December 12, 2004

S, M, L, XL, etc....

I've noticed that all the shirts I've bought recently have been Large while only a few years ago, I had to get X-Large shirts. Admittedly, I have lost a little weight over the last couple of years, but it never seemed to be about that. It wasn't like, "If I lose a couple of pounds, I could fit into a Large instead of an XL shirt." I think that there is more to it than that.

I honestly think that clothing manufacturers are re-aligning the sizes of shirts to accommodate heavier Americans. I think it might be a confidence booster in a way. People can go shopping and think they have lost weight when they try on clothes. To celebrate, they'll buy more new cloths because suddenly they feel better about themselves.

Now I'm not one to go for massive conspiracies. I think this is more of a clever marketing tool that preys on self-esteem. I first noticed this a few years ago when I bought a couple of Oxford shirts at the Gap. I quickly tried on some XLs and was on my way. It wasn't until later that I realized just how big they felt when I was wearing them. Since then, I have made a conscious effort to try on both Large and XL to see and inevitably, I find that Large shirts fit better. So my theory is that what was once XL is now only L. What was L is now M.

I've discussed this idea with several people and most have noticed it as well when they stop to think about it. So next time you go shopping for clothes, pay attention to the sizes you try on and see if there is a difference from what you are used to wearing.

1 comment:

Editor in Chief said...

The shirt I wore yesterday was size XXM.