Sunday, December 05, 2004

Love Those Cotton Pickin' Aggies!

Thanks to Texas getting selected as one of the two at-large BCS teams, Texas A&M will be playing Tennessee in the Cotton Bowl on New Years Day!

There are several reasons that I am excited about this game:
  1. My brother Travis is one of the Drum Majors for the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band and one of the things that he told me at the beginning of the football season was that he wanted to get to go to the Cotton Bowl in his senior year.
  2. My parents have gotten to see all of Travis' half time performances in the A&M home games during the past four years as well as the GalleryFurniture.Com Bowl game during his freshman year. A&M hasn't played in a bowl game since then, so this will be a nice bookend for Travis' tenure in the band and my parents, his girlfriend and her parents will all be able to be there to watch.
  3. In the old Southwest Conference, the ultimate prize for winning was a trip to the Cotton Bowl. The Aggies haven't played in the Cotton Bowl since 1998 when they finished as number 2 in the Big XII's second year. I find that it is fitting for the Aggies to return to the Cotton Bowl under second-year head coach Dennis Franchione. I feel that this signals a return of the Aggies to national prominence under Coach Fran.
  4. I am a resident of Nashville and have learned how rabid Tennessee football fans are in my short time here. I am looking forward to watching the Aggies beat Tennessee on New Years Day here in Nashville surrounded by Tennessee fans. It will be very fun indeed!

No comments: