Friday, December 03, 2004

Okay...I'm Surprised

Urban Meyer has accepted the head coaching job at the University of Florida. I can honestly say I'm a little surprised by this. I mean, I had been hearing rumors for the past few weeks that Florida was attempting to hire Meyer away from Utah, but once the job at Notre Dame opened up, I was pretty sure that he would be heading to South Bend.

I suppose it has to do with Meyer being a better fit for Florida than for Notre Dame at this time. Florida under Steve Spurrier was known for it's high octane offense and Meyer definitely had that going for him at Utah. Florida has slipped a little under Ron Zook, but Notre Dame has been trying to regain it's clout for quite a while now even after the great season they had during Ty Willingham's first year as head coach. They really haven't been the Notre Dame of old since Lou Holtz left. I guess what it really comes down to is something that my friend Joel said in an email to me the other day: "...Notre Dame is not what they used to be and they haven't figured that out yet. They still expect to dominate, but the college game has changed."

I think that pretty much sums up Urban Meyer's decision right there.

No comments: