Sunday, December 26, 2004

Happy Boxing Day!

Ever since I learned about Boxing Day in high school, I've always liked to celebrate it even if I don't follow the tradition as it is in England. I just like telling people "Happy Boxing Day!" and then they have to ask about it and usually don't believe me when I explain it.

It is an old English holiday that occurs the day after Christmas. In merry olde England, servants typically worked on Christmas Day but were given the day after Christmas off. In addition, they were given boxes of presents/bonuses by their employers. It has since evolved to the day in which you give a present to your delivery service providers such as the postman and milkman. I don't really know my postman and I don't even have a milkman, but I still like the idea!

I guess I really like it because my high school English teacher began having alumni parties every year on Boxing Day. They were always pretty fun getting to see old friends so I suppose that's why I really like the holiday. So anyway, enjoy your Boxing Day!

No comments: