Tuesday, December 21, 2004

"Dead Like Me" RIP

Although I feel that I waste a fair amount of time watching crappy TV, I find some shows to be worth my time. After watching a few episodes of "Dead Like Me," I felt that it was one of those shows. At first, I just thought it would be Showtime's attempt at a dark comedy trying to capitalize on the popularity of "Six Feet Under" but it is very different than that. It is not quite as good as "Six Feet Under" but it is quirky and enjoyable in it's own way.

Tonight, I read that Showtime has not renewed the contracts for a third season of "Dead Like Me." So for all intents and purposes, the show has been cancelled. But that does not necessarily mean the end of "Dead Like Me."

In recent years, fan outcry on the internet has prompted some shows to be picked up by new networks or come back from...well the dead. Case in point: "Family Guy." I have never personally cared for the cartoon, but there was a major outcry by hardcore fans when it was cancelled. This same cult of viewers went out en masse and purchased the DVD collections of the seasons. They all told their friends who went out to buy the DVDs. And they told their friends, etc. Now the series is coming back to TV with new episodes! Behold the power of profit.

Perhaps something similar can happen with "Dead Like Me," but I'm not counting on it. I'm afraid I'll have to settle for the reruns and the DVDs.

No comments: