Sunday, November 07, 2004

Thinking of moving to Canada?

On Wednesday morning, I went to work at my internship to hear my coworkers discussing President Bush's re-election and how bad it would be to have him in office for four more years. They were talking about moving out of the country, a typical overreaction to a situation they don't like.

But then I started thinking about it. I remember the same being said after the 2000 election, and at the time I thought, "Fine. You're overreacting, but do what you want."

On Wednesday though, I realized that a mass emigration to Canada or Europe would be a very good thing for the US economy. Think back to one of John Kerry's biggest complaints about the Bush administration: job losses and unemployment. In reality, things are not as bad as Senator Kerry would have you believe, but think about the number of available jobs there would be if 250,000 Americans simply left them on their rush to get out of the country! I don't know if they would be counted as a "job creation" for President Bush, but it would sure get some able bodied people re-employed.

My mind didn't stop there though. My next thought was that in this day of telecommuting, would these people who are so desperate to leave the country expect to maintain their jobs remotely from Canada and/or overseas? If this were the case, wouldn't this be classified as voluntarily outsourcing their own jobs to themselves? I think it would. So if they were to take their jobs and leave the country, I don't want to hear anymore complaints of outsourcing. It's just another issue of convenience for not taking responsibility and dealing with the unpredictable nature of life.

No comments: