Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Son of the Mask!?!

Hollywood must think that we are really, really stupid. I find it insulting that someone in that city would finance a live action "Garfield" movie, but this has got to be a new low: "Son of the Mask."

Thinking back to 1994, I remember going to the theater to see "The Mask" and being fairly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it had it's moments, but it just wasn't "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" funny. Without Jim Carrey and his unbelievable physical comedy abilities, "The Mask" would have been a complete and utter failure. The only other thing it had going for it was the film debut of a little known model by the name of Cameron Diaz.

I remember hearing rumors of a sequel, but after several years, I figured that no one had interest in continuing the story. That is until 2004 when some completely out-of-touch studio executives gathered together enough money to resurrect the dead and rotted corpse that was the screenplay for "Son of the Mask."

Think that I might be exaggerating? Watch the trailer and then ask yourself the following question: "Do I know anyone that would want to see this movie?"

Sometimes I wonder how bad movies get made. I feel that often there are too many people with financial interests to allow them to succeed. The have decent scripts, actors and directors, but the producers stifle the creativity to fit the film into some kind of box that it doesn't belong in the hopes of repeating past successes of similar films. This is not one of those films. This movie just looks bad.

The only thing that I dislike more than remakes of decent classic movies is completely unnecessary sequels. Hollywood must really be a crazy place if you can have people wasting so much money and energy on a project that has very little chances of recouping it's cost.

On top of everything else, this movie doesn't even have Jim Carrey or Cameron Diaz in it! I think that Jamie Kennedy can be pretty funny and I absolutely loved the "The Jamie Kennedy Experiment," but I'm not going to see this movie because of that. Alan Cumming is a critically acclaimed Broadway and film actor, so I'm not sure why he's involved. I only hope that whatever favor he owes someone is now paid-in-full.

For yourselves and those you love, please skip seeing this movie. Instead rent one of the seasons of "The Jamie Kennedy Experiment" or one of Alan Cumming's better movies such as "GoldenEye," "The Anniversary Party" or "X2: X-Men United." Don't reward Hollywood for continuing to treat you like you're dumb enough to watch anything they crap out.

Note: If this tirade has not been enough for you, please refer to the talkback section on this movie on Ain't It Cool News. WARNING: The talkbackers do not use the same level of restraint that I do so let this be your warning about inappropriate language.


No comments: