Monday, November 29, 2004

The Office

This is what network TV is missing...in America at least. I just finished watching "The Office Special" DVD that ties up most of the loose ends left at the end of the second season. Although I think I enjoyed the actual seasons of the show better than these two special holiday episodes, it is definitely a satisfying conclusion to one of the most subtly funny shows I have ever seen.

As I have mentioned before, I am a huge fan of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and that style of comedy. Although "Curb" has strayed from it's documentary style, "The Office" remained true to the concept to the end. It is literally like watching "Office Space: The Television Series" if such a thing existed.

When I first heard about "The Office" I thought it was just a lot of hype for another "quirky" British comedy but the show really transcends borders. Sure there are some Brit-com style jokes here and there as well as some references that went over my head, but the heart of the show is truly brilliant comedy. There is no laugh track and there is no need for one. There is more comedy in the frequent awkward silences than there are in an entire season of shows like "According to Jim."

Furthermore, including the two special episodes, there are only fourteen episodes spread across two seasons. When the creators of the show ran out of ideas, they stopped making the show. They didn't try to squeeze more out of the show like some of their American counterparts have been known to do. It is commendable that they would finish the show on their terms and not let a network decide when the show should end.

I highly recommend renting the entire series and watching it before the American version begins at mid-season. I'm not to optimistic about the American adaptation (see "Coupling") but it will feature Steve Carell, a guy I knew would be funny when I saw him on his pre-Daily Show gig on the short lived Dana Carvey Show.

No comments: