Wednesday, November 10, 2004

There's a Spirit that can ne'er be told

I was just reading my "Election Special" edition of Time magazine and came across a great mention of my undergraduate alma mater by former president George H.W. Bush. While I was a student there in 1996, his Presidential Library opened and since that time, he and Barbara make frequent visits to College Station from their home in Houston.

The article is mostly about Bush 41 getting to enjoy his son's re-election and the possibility of future runs for the White House by other members of the Bush family. But he also talks of his travels around the country and how he spends his retirement:

"The older Barbara and I get, the more we value our private time in Maine or Houston, and we love our little apartment at the [Bush] Library in College Station and being around the Texas A&M campus with the kids," he says. "I went up to Yale, and I was walking through the campus, and not once did anyone say, 'How are you?' or 'What can I do for you?' or 'Are you enjoying it?' They all looked the other way. Down at College Station they all say, 'Howdy.' I love going there."

I'd love it if everyone in the world could experience what Aggieland is like, but then the secret might be out to too many people. Trying to get people to understand what we have there is very hard. To quote the old Aggie adage, "From the outside looking in, you can't understand it; from the inside looking out, you can't explain it."

No comments: