Tuesday, January 18, 2005

I'm A Southern Boy At Heart

Last year when I was researching recording engineering schools to attend, I found what looked like an amazing program at a school called the Institue of Production and Recording in Minneapolis, MN. It had some wonderful facilities but when I did further research, I began to realize just how cold Minnesota can get. Well I was watching the Weather Channel this weekend and saw reports of the current cold snap. And then yesterday, it was confirmed that the town of Embarrass, MN reach a temperature of 54 degrees below zero!

The cold at Embarrass didn't stop the regular customers from getting their morning coffee at Four Corners, a cafe and gas station.

"Everybody left their cars running," waitress Trish Roggenbuck said. "It was pretty much breathtaking when you walked outside."


Of course that is in the northern part of Minnesota a mere ten miles south of the town of Tower which holds the record low of 60 below zero in 1996. Minneapolis is much further south so it was warmer:

Farther south, Minneapolis-St. Paul bottomed out at a mere 11 below.

I don't know how people can even live in that kind of environment. It is just crazy! I'm glad I visited and talked to residents of Minneapolis this summer before I chose my school. In doing so, I realized that I am a Southern boy and could not handle something like 11 below zero. As much as I complain about the humidity in Louisiana and Texas, I'll take that any day over an Arctic climate!

2 comments:

Editor in Chief said...

But Wes, you would be surprised how fast you get used to it. And you get the clothes that you need to keep warm. We don't think it is cold anymore unless it is below freezing. Then we have a day like today, high was 18 and it was 12 when we went to work. With the wind chill it was 0. Tonight we might be single digits!

Editor in Chief said...

I agree with you, though, 11 below is a little hard to handle. But, Bubba is right, you DO get used to it pretty quickly.