Monday, October 16, 2006

Festivals Acadiens 2006

Festival season is in full swing in south Louisiana and Roxi and I are taking full advantage. This weekend's event was Festivals Acadiens. It is a festival celebrating Cajun culture in the Acadiana area. Like most festivals, it's all about food, drink, music and crafts.

Roxi and I took advantage of the liberal drive-thru daiquiri laws in Louisiana and purchased our very large pre-drinks on the way to Girard Park. Once we arrived, we partook in some fantastic jambalaya and fried alligator-on-a-stick.

After our Cajun food we took in some music from Nathan & the Zydeco Cha Chas and The Pine Leaf Boys.

Nathan & the Zydeco Cha Chas:


The Pine Leaf Boys:


Finally we rounded out the afternoon with a walk through the crafts tents.

I found it very interesting celebrating Cajun culture so soon after celebrating German heritage twenty miles away last weekend. I never really thought about the juxtaposition before, but I think that is mostly because the two cultures merged with each other while maintaining separate identities. What a history lesson I have had over the past two weekends!

No comments: