Friday, January 27, 2006

Grandaddy is almost finished

Grandaddy, one of my favorite bands of the last few years, will be calling it quits after the release of their forthcoming album, Just Like the Fambly Cat. I can't say that I'm quite surprised. They are another in a long line of indie rock bands that have a loyal fanbase but could never really crack the highly commercial sector of the music business despite crafting some extremely catchy pop songs and getting one included in a Honda commercial. I was at least fortunate enough to see them twice in concert and was quite impressed by how they could recreate their album sound so well on stage. They had a knack for writing songs about the intrusion of technology into everyday life so well while using said technology to accent their music. Call it extreme irony if you will, but their albums contain some very addictive music with only a handful of throwaway songs. The same cannot be said for their EPs and maybe their experimental nature contributed to their demise, but Under the Western Freeway, The Sophtware Slump and Sumday are albums that I go back to constantly and never tire of. Grandaddy, you will be missed, but at least we will have one last album offering to soften the blow of the loss.

1 comment:

Editor in Chief said...

My Granddaddy is getting old, but I hope he's not finished.