Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Star Wars

I finally saw Revenge of the Sith this past weekend and was left with a feeling of slight disappointment to go along with the "closure" of the story coming full circle. I guess I was just hoping to be able to relive the excitement that I had felt when watching the original trilogy. But sadly it was only nostalgia and nothing more. I mean this wasn't a bad movie, but I have seen quite a few headlines and reviews that proclaim this film the best of the series. Nothing could be further from the truth. There is a lot that is wrong with the movie.

I enjoyed parts of it but I found that at times, it was excruciatingly slow and tedious. Too much time was spent trying to show Anakin's turn to the "darkside" but it was hampered by the constraints of the movie. It just felt like he was turned pretty darn easily after all that we were lead to believe. It seemed a little forced to me in order to get to the conclusion that we all knew was inevitable.

I actually left the theater feeling like I had enjoyed this chapter less than the last. I remember being very excited by the action in Attack of the Clones but there was no real suspense in this film. I guess that is the trouble with prequels. To it's credit, Revenge of the Sith was better than The Phantom Menace but that really isn't saying a lot.

So now the Star Wars chapter of our lives is over. I for one am glad to see it end. There was a time that I thought I'd never even think such a thing, but George Lucas did so many things with the new trilogy that sacrificed the heart and soul of the original story that I almost wish the prequels were never made. But hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy to criticize after the fact.

For a very funny review of the movie (beware of spoilers) check out Maddox's opinion.

1 comment:

Kate :) said...

I totally agree with you Wes. I liked the film and it was entertaining (and I got to eat popcorn which is crucial to my movie-going), but I felt like the acting was really flat...especially the part with Anakin's conversion. I felt like he was a big sissy boy who was easily swayed in the end and they didn't do enough to show his internal struggle if there was one. He just started killing people because he was told too like a pansyboy.