Sunday, June 12, 2005

"Mr. and Mrs. Smith" is not a good movie.

I foolishly spent $8.50 to see "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" last night and realized that not only had I paid too much for it, I couldn't think of any movie that is worth $8.50 to see.

I've seen the reports that talk about how it's a hit, but I must ask the question: When will people realize that a high gross on opening weekend has absolutely no correlation to the quality of that movie?

This movie is formulaic at best and pointless at the end. It is a bunch of silly couples therapy jokes strung together with PG-13 choreographed fight sequences. And then to top it off, the wrinkle in the plot that is introduced about midway through the movie goes completely unresolved when the credit finally roll. But the writers threw in one more couples therapy joke at the end to make you forget about how lazy they were in not bothering to actually resolve the plot. And what bothered me more was that people actually clapped in the theater at the end of the movie and it wasn't sarcastic!

I give up! Hollywood you win! I won't go see anymore crappy summer "blockbusters" if you promise not to ruin any more movies and TV shows with unnecessary remakes and/or adaptations. Uh-oh! Too late! The deal is off!

No comments: