Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Boats

Yesterday Roxi had to spend several hours at the conference and so she sent me out to do things on my own in Gothenburg. I'm a big fan of guided tours so I decided I'd take the Paddan Boat Tour through the canals and harbor of Gothenburg. It was a very nice tour with the guide pointing out all of the sites along the canal and the harbor on the Gota Alv. With my engineering background I couldn't help but take pictures of the bridges and ship repair facility.







After the boat tour, I still had several hours to kill so I thought I'd head over the Maritiman, the ship museum that Roxi and I saw on Sunday. According to the Paddan Boat tour guide, it is the largest floating museum in the world. It consists of nineteen ships all moored together with gangways connecting them together. It was very interesting to see some of the non-military ships. I've toured battleships before, but it was a change to see what freighters are like.







All in all, it was a fun afternoon, but it would have been better with Roxi. She had a good afternoon as well although spent very differently at the conference. We rendezvoused back at the hotel and then took another walk to have dinner. After dinner we stopped for some fantastic European ice cream. There really isn't anything like it in the US. I'm not sure why someone doesn't make a European style ice cream (Haagen-Dazs doesn't count) because it seems like it could be very successful in the States. Our night ended rather abruptly when Roxi and I returned to the hotel with plans to go to a bar for some drinks, but both of us passed out from the day's exhaustion. Vacation can be so tiring!

No comments: