Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Fat Police Will Get You Where You Work (The Nanny State Continues)

I've written about personal responsibility a few times and the efforts of many to take care of every little stupid thing that you might do in your life. The latest assault is from our friends the Fat Police. In addition to controlling what your kids eat and drink at school, they are now coming after you in your workplace. But it is for your own good because you can't exercise enough self control to eat healthy snacks instead of junk food. Don't worry, it's not your fault. They will fix everything for you.

"We spend more time at work than at home," said Linda Shak, program coordinator at the Prevention Institute, which advocates healthy workplaces. "We really need to shift away from individual responsibility to corporate and government responsibility for creating an environment for healthy eating and activity."


We don't really need anything of the sort!

Work sucks. No matter how much you might like your job, some days are just no fun. Some people might want to make their days a little less miserable by having a cookie or a bag of salty, greasy potato chips. Of course some of those people might overdo it and gain weight in the process, but that is their business. If they want to be overweight and eat junk food at work, that is not the business of the government. The government is completely incapable of managing its own internal business so how could it ever succeed in managing anything properly in our personal lives?

3 comments:

Timmie Smith said...

When OSHA was created, I doubt inspecting vending machines is what they had in mind. This is lame.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Thank God I don't work so I can sit home and eat junk food all day. I'm having a French bread pizza right now, and I think I'll follow it up with a Baby Ruth.

(sticking tongue out at "government watchdogs")

Bubba's Mom said...

Considering the mentality of a lot of people "in government", I don't think I would trust them to tell me what to feed my dog. Don't these people have enough to do that they have time to worry about what the average Joe/Sally eats at work??? I bet they don't all sit around eating carrot sticks and yogurt - Yuck!!