Thursday, April 13, 2006

Another Year, Another "Michael Jackson to sell Beatles catalog" Story

I didn't plan on writing two Beatles related posts in one day, but that's what's happened. I just came across this article about Michael Jackson negotiating to sell off a majority of his interest in the Beatles catalog to help finance his debt from his costly legal defense and Peter Pan complex. There are two things that bother me about this story. One is that it seems like I've read this story at least once a year for the last five years. In fact I even wrote a post about it less than a year ago so I'm a little skeptical of this story. The second thing that bothers me is that the report states that Jackson won't be selling off his entire interest in the catalog. So even if he does have to sell for financial reasons, he won't be selling all of it. I'm starting to be pretty convinced that Paul and Ringo will never have complete control of the songs that they wrote and made famous, and that's a pretty sad state of affairs indeed.

No comments: