Friday, March 31, 2006

Goodbye Greenbacks

Six months ago I read about the latest redesign of US money to help prevent counterfeiting, but I didn't actually see my first new $10 bill until today. I went to the bank to deposit a check and get some cash and my envelope contained two brand new crisp yellow bills. I did a double take while counting it when I remembered that the $10 bill had received a facelift similar to the ones that the $50 bill and the $20 bill got a few years ago.



By itself, it just looks like Hamilton's head has been enlarged and "We the people" has been added, but next to other bills, you realize how little green ink is used. Going back and looking at all three new bills together, I really noticed that the $20 bill has a bluish tint to it while the $50 bill has a pinkish hue. So I guess our money will look less and less like the greenbacks of old and more closely resemble the multicolored monies of other countries. Personally I think it's kind of cool because I was a nerdy kid who liked to check out the World Book Encyclopedia article on money from time to time just to see all the pictures of the difference bills. That and I've been making sure to keep my collection of state quarters up to date. I guess that makes me a casual numistmatist!

No comments: