Thursday, May 12, 2005

Dennis Miller

CNBC was planning to cancel Dennis Miller's talk show next month but when he heard the news, Dennis Miller decided to call it quits at the end of the week. It's a shame that CNBC didn't do a better job of promoting the show because I think Dennis Miller is very funny and is deserving of success. But his show just couldn't compete with the other networks' "shouting shows" like Hannity and Colmes and the O'Reilly Factor. Those shows do nothing for for me and seem to only seek to divide people into extreme pro and con camps where no agreement can be possible.

The other thing that irritates me is that people say that Dennis Miller just isn't funny anymore. That couldn't be further from the truth. The truth is, he has said some things that some of his friends in the entertainment industry don't agree with. It's sad really because I have always thought he was a pretty funny guy as far back as when he was the anchor of Weekend Update on SNL.

Dennis Miller is one of the wittiest and well read comedians that I have ever heard. I like to think that I am pretty well educated but some of his references do go over my head. But still, that's a lot better as far as I'm concerned than a couple of good jokes tied together with cheap laughs.

No comments: