Thursday, February 14, 2008

"The Economist"

I am seriously perplexed. I don't know what to make of the direction in which LOST is going, but I like it. It just gets more intriguing each week.

STOP READING NOW TO AVOID SPOILERS!!!!!

So Sayid is one of the Oceanic 6 AND he is a hired killer AND he works for Ben Linus!?!?! I did not see that coming at all. He is going around killing people on a list. So I wonder who the guy was that he killed on the golf course. All of the people on the list are associated with the island but in what way? And who was the economist?

Although they didn't answer it, I'm glad they at least addressed the fact that Naomi had a picture of Desmond and Penny with her considering the "rescuers" stated mission was to find Ben. She seemed so certain that there would be survivors of Flight 815 on the island in her meeting with Matthew Abbadon in last week's episode and there is really only one place that she could have gotten that picture of Desmond and Penny. So was she playing both sides? Penny didn't recognize the Naomi's name when Charlie mentioned it so how is she involved? I don't think that we will see the freighter in next week's episode, but I have a feeling that it won't be long before we see the other people on board.

So Ben did a lot of traveling off the island. I wonder if he killed people when he made those trips or I perhaps he's more of the guy who gives orders. And what about Sawyer admitting that he doesn't want to leave. Kind of sweet to see him tell Kate that he wants to play house on this Valentine's Day episode.

Daniel and Charlotte have other things to do on the island. As the two scientists, they are of course interested in studying the strangeness that is LOST island. It has been hinted to on the show for quite a while but tonight we got a definitive answer that there is some sort of temporal shift between the island and the rest of the world. It is evidenced in the time lag between the clock that Daniel had on the island and the clock that was fired to the island on the missile. I also think that his warning to Frank about the helicopter's heading is also related to the potential for time or dimensional travel. We didn't get to see any of what Charlotte will study, but as an anthropologist/archaeologist, I can't help but think that we will finally be learning about the four-toed statue in the near future!!!

All in all a good episode but I have really loved the ending of each show this season. Seeing Desmond and Sayid leave the island with Frank was something. Desmond looked very happy while it seemed a little bitter sweet for Sayid. And I have to think that Naomi's story isn't over. I keep waiting for her to sit up or something. But what really got my heart pumping was of course hearing that familiar voice of Benjamin Linus before we had visual confirmation that he is off the island and still pulling the strings. He has convinced Sayid to kill for him! I can' t imagine how he did it, and I definitely can't wait to find out!

Here's to the next ten episodes! Hooray for the end of the writers strike!

1 comment:

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Yes, last night left me seriously perplexed,too. I can't figure out why Sayid is a hired killer working for Ben! And Ben said something about "protecting your friends" so does Sayid have to do that to keep the other Oceanic survivors safe? But why?!? Is The Economist the one who sent the team to the island? That bald black guy maybe? I'm so confused again.