Sunday, February 19, 2006

Great News for fans of "The State"

In a recent interview, "Reno 911!" creators Ben Garant and Thomas Lennon have revealed that all eleven members of "The State" will appear in the upcoming "Reno 911!: Miami" movie!

I love "Reno 911!" but when I first heard about this movie, I was skeptical because all I could really think of was "Police Academy 5: Assignment: Miami Beach." But then on second thought, I realized that the Reno cops in Miami was the prefect parody of the ill-fated Police Academy sequel. Furthermore, this news of a full State reunion makes the project that much more appealing.

I fondly remember "The State" from my early high school days. MTV still showed music videos a majority of the time although with shows like "The State" and "Beavis and Butthead," the current non-musical programming of the channel was beginning. I loved the absurdity of comedy troupe and have not seen any sketch shows like it in the ten years since with the only exceptions being the "Upright Citizens Brigade" and criminally short-lived "Dana Carvey Show."

Since The State disbanded, several members have collaborated on Comedy Central shows such as "Viva Variety," " Reno 911!" and "Stella." Many members also appeared in the great summer camp parody "Wet Hot American Summer." But all of the near reunions were only prelude to this.

One can only hope that this reunion precipitates a full blown stage tour in the near future. I twice enjoyed "The Kids in the Hall" reunion tour and I can only imagine how I would enjoy a reunion of "The State."

No comments: