Friday, March 04, 2005

Frances Thevis Melancon

I've just returned home from a trip to my hometown of Lafayette, LA to take part in the funeral for my grandmother, Frances Thevis Melancon.

It has been a very emotional and exhausting couple of days. I have been to several funerals over the years including one of a very close friend of mine, but this is the first time in my life that I and my brothers have had to deal with the passing of a close family member.

She had a very full life and had gotten to see and do so much in her 85 years. Only recently after a few diagnostic exams and minor surgeries did doctors realize that she had a very aggressive cancer. From the day she was officially diagnosed until February 28 when she passed away, only 12 days had transpired. But I had an opportunity to see her before she passed just under two weeks ago and at that time, we all knew that it was only a matter of time. But with the assistance of Hospice of Acadiana, she was able to pass among family and with minimal pain.

I, my brothers and my cousins are very fortunate to have had such a loving grandmother. She was instrumental in raising all of us. I have personally been out of a little out of touch with my aunt, uncle and cousins over the past few years as all of us have gotten older, but like the cliche goes, this situation really brought us much closer than we have been since we were all very young children playing in "Maw Maw's" back yard.

I will miss her but I felt very much at peace after the funeral yesterday because I honestly know that she is in a better place now. As hard as a death in the family is, the experience was amazing and I really understand very well now what the purpose of a funeral is and how helpful it is for family and friends.

Rest in Peace Maw Maw

No comments: