Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"Everybody Loves Hugo"

Another great episode of LOST tonight!  The story is really getting amped up and I like where it appears to be going even if this denouement means that the show must end.  You know what they say about all good things... 

STOP READING NOW TO AVOID SPOILERS!!!!!

I'm starting my blog a late tonight as I was busy earlier playing some of my songs at an open mic night at a local restaurant.  As a result this may be a more abbreviated entry but once I get going it's hard to stop so it may end up being like a regular episode blog.  I just finished watching the episode and DAMN!  Things are getting crazy and I like it!  Good to see Michael and Libby again especially in their respective contexts.  It was nice to finally get an answer about the whispers, but I wonder if I'm alone in my feeling that my speculation was more satisfying than the reveal.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very appreciative to know that the whispers are the souls trapped on the Island as a result of the wrongs they did during their lives, but it's somewhat of an anti-climax.  I am thoroughly enjoying the season, but as these lingering questions continue to be answered over the remaining episodes, I wonder if I will feel excitement, frustration or ambivalence about them.  For now, I'm enjoying the ride.

It was very exciting to see Libby again!  It was especially interesting since it was sideways Libby and she was "crazy" which was somehow causing her to "remember" her Island existence.  I was also very glad to see both Island and sideways Desmond working to fulfill their destinies although I am a little worried about the nasty fall that Island Desmond took down the well.  As far as sideways Desmond goes, great to see him seeking out the Oceanic passengers to help them connect with their Island consciousnesses.  The gentle nudge that he gave Hurley paid huge dividends.  Roxi and I were both pretty overcome with emotion when Hurley saw flashes of his other life after his kiss with Libby.  What an awesome awakening!  But now what?  When sideways Desmond completes his mission, will the timelines merge?  Will characters have to choose which world they want. Can both worlds continue to exist in a parallel fashion?

I am really looking forward to seeing what is next for sideways Locke.  During that final sideways scene, a lot of thoughts were going through my head.  Here's a summary:

Is sideways Desmond planning to talk to sideways Locke?
What would be the point since Island Locke is dead!
Who would sideways Locke have to talk to in order to have flashes?
Charlie and Desmond both experienced Island flashes during near death experiences.
Desmond is going to have to run over Locke!
Desmond is about to run over Locke!
Desmond just ran over Locke!

Since sideways Locke appears to still be alive, I'm thinking that we will see him experience Island flashes next week.  But what will that mean for the Smoke Monster who is the "substitute" Locke on the Island?  Will this somehow restore Island Locke's consciousness to the Smoke Monster's manifestation of Locke?

I was gobsmacked by Ilana's sudden and violent death.  In the back of my mind, I was expecting it since she was really handling that dynamite too roughly, but I was still shocked when it happened.  Good thing that won't happen to anyone else now that Hurley destroyed the Black Rock.   But will we ever get any more of Ilana's backstory?  Is it even important?  There were several shots of Hurley's shifty eyes during the episode.  I wonder if he has a plan or if he's under the influence of other forces.  He just delivered the remaining candidates and an airline pilot to Locke.  I hope he knows what he's doing!

Alpert, Ben and Miles went off together to destroy the plane, this time with Dharma hand grenades.  I don't think they'll be successful.  They mentioned taking an outrigger.  Will we finally see the other side of the outrigger shootout that we saw in "The Little Prince?"  And as much as I hated the "Sun has aphasia" device from "The Package," I was glad that we didn't have to see her writing a lot of notes to Jack this week.  I also felt a sympathy for her when she scanned the people in Locke's camp and saw that Jin was not among them.  Will they finally be reunited next week?  I think that next week they will finally see each other for the first time since "There's No Place Like Home."

There is most certainly a lot more to say about this episode, but it is late and maybe less is more in this case.  The bottom line is that this was a great episode with a lot of meaty storylines.  I continue to look forward to the momentum that has been generated over the past few weeks.  Please feel free to remind me of anything that I missed in the comments and if I think of anything else after some sleep, I'll make sure to update this post.

No comments: